Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Favorite Beauty Products of 2014!

Hi raspberries! Today I'm going to do a post about my favorite beauty products from 2014. It's the 4th now, but I've been a bit busy, so we're just going to reflect (bear with me). This list will include makeup, hair products, skincare, bath and shower products, and maybe a few bits and bobs. I'm going to try to include things I either discovered or began using in 2014, or things I used regularly throughout the entire year. With that, let's begin!
(Warning: THIS WILL BE A PHOTO HEAVY POST)

MAKEUP

1. Chanel Perfection Lumiere Foundation (I use shade 10 Beige) - $57 at Nordstrom 





As you can tell from these pictures, this foundation has been heavily used! I even lost the cap (unfortunately, because it's quite pretty and has the Chanel logo on it). This is my holy grail foundation. I love everything about it; the coverage, the finish, the application. It's just beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't wear it right now, as the color has gotten a bit dark for my face. I want to mix it with something lighter and use it in the winter months. I would recommend this foundation highly to anyone who likes foundation with a matte finish. I have combination/dry skin, and this is great for me, but I think it would work will on an oilier skin type as well, due to the matte finish.

2. Yves Saint Laurent Anti-Cernes Multi-Action Concealer (I use shade 1 Ivory Beige) - $37 at Sephora


I don't have any of this concealer left, and tossed it before taking pictures. I love stick concealers for a spot-conceal, and liquid concealers for undereye. I'd like to try YSL's Touche Eclat Concealer for undereye concealing as I liked this one so much, but I found a decent dupe and used that instead (Milani HD Advanced Concealer). I bought the Anti-Cernes concealer on a whim, but ended up really liking it. I used it as my daily concealer until it was absolutely gone. The color was great for me, because it has a warm undertone. I don't think I'd recommend this product to someone with cool or pink tones to their skin. I need to replace this ASAP!

3. Dior Diorskin Forever Compact Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25 (I use shade Ivory 010) - $50 at Sephora



I actually still have this, but the packaging got so beat up, I was embarrassed to take a picture. There's also hardly any product left! This is technically a powder foundation, but I use it as a finishing powder due to it's great finish and coverage. I sometimes find finishing powders to have too light of coverage for the matte finish I like, but not so with this product! This was another impulse buy that turned out to be a favorite! I think the color range would be fine for people with any undertones, although unfortunately, the colors only go dark enough to suit people with skin on the light-end of dark. I'd suggest dark beauties search for a wider color range!

4. Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette - $36 at Sephora





*Hallelujah chorus plays* I LOVE THIS PALETTE. Confession time again...I don't own any of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. (Feel free to exile me.) I was out with my boyfriend shopping with birthday money when I bought this, and I originally intended to buy the Naked 3 palette from Urban Decay, but I elected to buy this palette, and some lipstick, as it was about $15 cheaper. Sadly, I don't have an actual camera, and am equipped only with an iPhone, which can't begin to capture how beautiful these colors are. The swatches on my hand are only one swipe, so you can see they're quite pigmented. All of these colors are super wearable and would love gorgeous on anyone. I use at least one color from this palette almost every day.

5. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner - $20 at Sephora



This one is infuriating. I owned this eyeliner for about a month before I LOST IT FOREVER. I've looked high and low, but I can't find it anywhere. The month I owned it was the greatest month of eyeliner my little lids have ever witnessed. The next time I go shopping at Sephora, I fully intend to buy a replacement. I'm pretty picky with eyeliner, and I waffle around with different brands a lot, in search of one I like. This is hands down the best eyeliner I've ever used. I know different people prefer different eyeliner applicators, and I can get down with most types, but the felt-tip pens are my personal favorite. I love the brush on this one because it has give, unlike some drugstore felt-tips I've used, which are too stiff and scratch your eyelid. The color payoff is also great, it's super opaque. (Thanks Rachel for recommending this one to me!)

6. Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner - $19 at Sephora





(Sorry about my cat lurking in the first picture.) This is a fun one. I definitely don't use this on a daily basis, and it was (another) whim purchase. (I don't have a problem, what?) I do love this product, though. It's just plain fun! The color range is adorable, and it's not chunky like some glitter liners I've used. This would be great for a night out, or when you're just feeling sparkly (nothing wrong with that).

7. SEPHORA COLLECTION Contour Eye Pencil 12hr Wear Waterproof - $10 at Sephora



This is just a great eyeliner. I bought this at Sephora because I needed a new black pencil liner, but I didn't want to spend a fortune. I really one use pencil liners on my lower lid or waterline, so I'm not sure what the staying power would be like if you have oily upper lids. This is great for lining your waterline or tightlining because it's very soft and goes on smooth, plus it's waterproof, so it stays fantastically!

8. Benefit They're Real! Mascara - $23 at Sephora



This is (to date) my favorite mascara ever. I love the rubber bristles on the brush, and the staying power is great. Quite simply, this will make anyone's lashes look 10x better.

9. L'oreal Paris Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara - $8 at Ulta


The look from the advertising. Meant to look a bit clumpy, I think.

The reason I decided to include this product is because it surprised me. I don't use this mascara every day, but I do like it. I bought it because of the cute packaging (whoops), and actually really liked it! This will give a very different look from the Benefit mascara. It doesn't separate lashes like They're Real!, which I think is actually part of the point. It does give you that cute, "manga" look, if that's what you're going for. Certainly not as mature of a product or look, but it works really well for what it was intended to do.

10. SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultra Shine Lip Gloss - $14 at Sephora



I have 42 Precious Pink Jewels and 30 Amazing Pink Sparkling

These are really, really great. There's not much to say except that they're lipglosses, at a reasonable price, and with beautiful colors and good packaging. These come in 42 colors, so there's something for everybody. They're really fun, and I love the wand design for precise application. They're not going to stay on forever, but they're sheer lipglosses, so if that's what you want, probably don't wear a sheer lipgloss.

11. NYX Cosmetics Round Case Lipstick - $4 at Ulta





These are also great for the beauty on a budget! They also come in 42 shades, so there's something here for everyone! These little numbers are only $4 a pop, and I haven't found a lipstick that cheap with as beautiful a range or color payoff. I've owned many of these in the past, but these three are all I have at the moment. I'll probably pick some up the next time I go to Ulta.

12. CHANEL Rouge Coco Hydrating Creme Lip Color - $35 at Nordstrom

Vanessa Paradis in the original ad


19 "Gabrielle"

This is my favorite lipstick of all time. I first bought one of these in 2011 when I saw the ad featuring Vanessa Paradis wearing 05 Mademoiselle. I dragged my grandmother around two malls searching for the color. As the ad had made it so popular, they were completely sold out at Macy's and Nordstrom. I finally found it at Saks Fifth Avenue, and it was the very last tube! As silly as it sounds, I credit this lipstick with a lot. I think it's part of what changed me from a girl to a woman. When I put that color on for the first time (it smelled like fresh cut roses!), I knew I was over wearing neon tee shirts and getting my hair over-razored. Quite simply, this lipstick is glamour in a tube. I guarantee that anyone who ever lets this product grace their lips will carry themselves differently while they have it on. You just can't help it! Anyway, the reason it's on my list this year is because I finally tried it in a new color (I'd been wearing Mademoiselle for years). I decided to buy 19 Gabrielle, a beautiful true red, named after Madame Chanel herself. You can't help but feel a bit like Coco with it on. And who doesn't want that? In one wear, it became my favorite red lipstick of all time.

SKINCARE

1. LUSH Angels on Bare Skin Cleanser - Price by weight at LUSH




Like everybody these days, I'm a certified LUSH maniac. I've tried a lot of their products, and will eventually dedicate an entire post to them, but for now I want to talk about this lovely, understated cleanser. If you're not aware, LUSH is a handmade cosmetics company that does not test on animals, and marks all their products as vegan or non-vegan. This product is not vegan! The way this cleanser works is that you crumble a bit of it in your hand, add some water, and mix. LUSH avoids making liquid products as a water saving measure. The result is great, because you get a bit of added exfoliation. This smells so delicious (lavender, rose, and almond), and works like a charm! I've been breaking out recently, and this is already reducing my spots. Perfect for all skin types.

2. Estee Lauder Gentle Eye Makeup Remover - $20 (for full size) at Sephora


I use this eye makeup remover nearly every day. I will say, I received this as a gift from my mother (she got it with purchase at a Macy's event and didn't want it), and I would probably not spend the asking price on an eye makeup remover. But because I use this little baby every day, and it works so well, I had to include it in my favorites.

3. LUSH Gorgeous Moisturizer - $89.95 at LUSH



Another LUSH product! I'm a bit wishy-washy on moisturizers and switch them up more than cleanser. I love this one, though! (Also not vegan.) It smells heavenly, again, and would be great on all skin types. I know this one is a bit of a cult favorite as well. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it!

4. Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 - $13.50-$29.50 at Sephora



This is my favorite toner. I got it as part of a set (also came with a cleanser and moisturizer), but this ended up being the only product I really liked. I definitely recommend the Clinique line of toners (the different numbers signify different skin types). They're gentle, but will get any remaining grime after your cleansing out, and leave your face feeling fresh.

BATH AND BODY

1. LUSH Buffy Body Butter - $11.95-$22.95 at LUSH


I'm a fan of a lot of LUSH's body butters, but I really like the exfoliating quality on this one. Plus, the scent is really understated and not overwhelming. This is great for the winter to get rid of dry skin and moisturize at the same time!

2. LUSH Rose Jam Shower Gel - $10 for 3.3 oz at LUSH



This is, frankly, the best smelling thing in the whole world. If you think you don't like the smell of roses, you'll still like this. It smells like sweet roses mixed with angels' tears. Unfortunately, they only release it around Christmas time, but you can get the Rose Jam Bubbleroon if you're craving the scent another time. This one is vegan as well!

3. LUSH Rub Rub Rub Shower Scrub - $21.95 at LUSH



This is similar to Ocean Salt by LUSH, which I've also used, but I find this one less abrasive. I really enjoy the orange blossom scent, and it's great for sloughing off dead skin in the shower. Also vegan!

4. Bath and Body Works Paris Amour Shea & Vitamin E Body Lotion - $12.50 at Bath & Body Works


I really like this whole line from Bath & Body Works. They have a lot of products in the Paris Amour scent, but I use this lotion the most, especially in the spring. Be warned, this is a very sweet, very over-the-top girly smell. My boyfriend actually hates this because he thinks it's too sweet, but who cares. Great if you're looking to indulge your feminine side.

BITS AND BOBS

1. Estee Lauder Pure Color Nail Laquer in 0N "Smashed" - $21 at Macy's




My grandma accidentally bought this nail polish and gave it to me because she didn't like it. Lucky for me, I love it! It's my favorite nail polish shade ever! The glitter is quite fine, which I like compared to the chunky glitter in a lot of drugstore polishes. It also has good lasting power and goes on easily.

2. Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Buffing Brush - $18 at Ulta (Part of the "Core Collection", comes with 3 other brushes)


Real Techniques is my favorite line of brushes, but this is my most used brush from the collection. You could use this brush to apply a variety of face products, but I use it for foundation. It's densely packed and super super soft. Like I said, I can't rave enough about Real Techniques, but if you want to try just one, start with this!

3. MAC 266SE Brush - $20 at MAC Cosmetics


I have a few MAC brushes, and I find that I actually don't use many of them that much. However, I do use this little guy every day. I believe this is meant to be an eyeliner brush, but I use it to do my eyebrows. It provides excellent precision that you couldn't get with a larger brush. It would be great for eyeliner too.

I hope everyone enjoyed this post and got some new ideas! These are all products I feel really strongly about and recommend highly. Let me know what your favorites were this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment