Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lolita 52 Challenge: #1!

Hi raspberries! This is going to be post number one from the Lolita 52 Challenge I got from the F Yeah Lolita blog. Question number one on the list is a relatively easy one, but would be good for beginner lolitas to know. So the question is...

 5 pieces that every lolita wardrobe should have, regardless of style! 

If it's only 5 pieces, these are basically going to be outfit staples. I could have gone with items outside of the outfit staples, but I'd like to educate lolitas who are just getting started on 5 things everyone needs to have! Let's start.



1. A base piece

base pieces blog
  • What is a base piece? By this I mean a skirt, OP (one piece) or JSK (jumperskirt). Every outfit has to have one of these. If you're wearing an OP, you won't need the next item, but most outfits will need it so I'm putting it anyway.
2. A blouse or cutsew

blouse blog
  • If you're not wearing an OP, please wear a blouse. It is a classic beginner mistake to not wear a blouse with a JSK, and you will save yourself ridicule by wearing one. There can be some exceptions to the rule, I would argue. Some lolitas say you must wear a blouse with a jumperskirt always, no exceptions. I think if you are wearing a JSK that doesn't show much chest and will have a bolero or cardigan on over it and don't want the bunching of the sleeves, it could be fine. But generally, just wear a blouse. It really does look better. For those wondering, a cutsew is basically a lolita t-shirt. Sometimes they are tank tops, and if you're really sweltering in the summer, I think maybe you could get away with wearing a brand cutsew tank top. They're usually more casual than blouses.
3. A petticoat

  • This one is vital. There are exceptions, like if you're wearing an old-school dress (usually refers to something made around 2003-2004), but these days, wear a petticoat. Always. With everything. It's not really lolita if you don't. There are multiple "silhouettes" that can be achieved by different petticoat shapes, the most popular being the bell, or cupcake, and the a-line. Lots of lolitas (myself included) wear more than one petticoat at once to get that extra floof!
4. Socks or tights

socks blog
  • I just can't justify walking around with totally bare legs in lolita. I think it would look completely awful. You don't have to wear anything fancy. They can be burando OTKs (over-the-knees), or just some tights or frilly ankle socks you got at Target. But just please, something on the legs.
5. Headbow, clips, hat, etc.

headwear blog
  • Put something on your head! I thing wigs are starting to get pretty vital in the fashion, but I didn't have room for that. If you style your hair, you don't need a wig, but I like them still. Either way, put an accessory on your wig or your real hair! This could be a headbow (maybe the one matching your dress or skirt), a clip of some kind, or a hat. With such a huge skirt in lolita, you really need something on your head to balance out the look.

Well, that's all for question number one! I hope you all learned something if you're just getting into the fashion! (By the way, I realize all these pieces are pretty sweet, so I hope you don't mind, that's just my personal style!)


No comments:

Post a Comment