Thursday, February 12, 2015

Lolita 52 Challenge: #7 and 8!

Hi raspberries! So this post is going to be the next part in the Lolita 52 Challenge! Why I wear lolita, and why I don't wear it more!


#7: Why I wear lolita?

This is kind of a complicated question, haha. I started getting into lolita when I was in the 6th grade, or about 12 years old. I had a couple copies of the English-language GLB that I bought at a Borders and I was instantly in love. I started frequently perusing the BTSSB website in about 2008. Luckily, I never really went through the dreaded "ita" phase, because I didn't actually start wearing lolita until I was about 16, so I'd had a lot of time to gather knowledge about it before jumping into it. Also, since my first exposure to lolita was the Bibles, I was familiar with brands right off the bat. 
Anyway, I lusted after pieces for a years, and never got anything. Finally, I got my first piece when I was about 15 or 16, which was the Balloon Heart JSK from Bodyline (no burando for me yet). That Christmas, I amassed a lot more pieces (all from Bodyline, which I have mostly sold now) and was able to put together a full coord. It's not great, but I don't think it's lace-monster Milanoo ita status or anything.

My first ever boring-ass coord
So the rest of this story is a little emotional, but oh well. When I finally bit the bullet and decided to start wearing lolita, I was dating a guy who was really not supportive and was constantly making fun of me for wearing it. I had pieces I loved but didn't feel comfortable wearing them. It was pretty depressing. Thankfully, I realized I was making a horrible mistake and broke up with him. After the break up, I started wearing lolita, gyaru, pastel goth, fairy kei, etc., a lot more. It felt like a bit of a middle finger to him and was relieving to be able to feel like I could really be myself. My current boyfriend is a complete angel about it and does everything he can to support me. Just follow your passion! 
I'm trying really hard to get more pieces right now, because I've had to sell a lot to support myself, as I have severe mental illness that has made life hard. But, lolita is more than clothing to me. It's a way of life. It's everything I've ever wanted to be and look like, and I won't give it up for anything. 

Here's me with my local comm a year ago (I'm in Milky Planet Salopette)

#8: Why I don't wear lolita more

I addressed this in a previous question, but mainly, I can't afford it right now. I don't have enough pieces anymore to put outfits together. I think lolita can be "affordable", but I can't even afford regular clothes right now, let alone the $250 dresses I want. I think my boyfriend is going to get hired for a job soon, and after we get our needs taken care of, he wants to help me start saving to get my closet built up again. It's very important to me and not being able to wear it much anymore really makes me feel like I'm losing a part of myself and my identity. So, I'm really determined to get back into it no matter what, and that's part of why I'm doing these questions on the blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment