Monday, February 9, 2015

Lolita 52 Challenge: #6!

Hi raspberries! This is part 6 of the Lolita 52 Challenge. Without further ado, let's get started!


6. My favorite lolita brand

Oh boy! Talk about a loaded question. I decided to make this one question a single post because I seriously cannot pick a single favorite brand. I'm a cheater cheater pumpkin eater and I'm so sorry. My two favorite "burando" big label brands are Angelic Pretty and Baby, the Stars Shine Bright, but I really can't pick just one or the other. I feel like it would be like telling one of my children I love them more. I love them equally for different reasons. 

Let's start with AP! Angelic Pretty was founded in 1979 but really became a lolita brand in 2001. It's probably the most widely recognized lolita brand in the world. I love AP for their over-the-top sweet prints and adorable pastel colorways, although they've been releasing some more mature styles lately. I have some all-time favorites from AP, but I might talk about those in a future posts, so I'm just going to show some of their recent releases that I like (2014 and 2015).






(Left to right from top) Sugar Dream Dome JSK in Lavender, Mercator Antique Shop OP in Navy, Melty Ribbon Chocolate JSK in Beige, Cosmic Sailor JSK in Pink, Melody Toys JSK With Collar in Sax, Cream Cookie Collection OP in Ivory, Sweetie Violet OP in Pink, Romantic Rose Letter OP in Pink, Loyal Rosette JSK in Navy, Cotton Candy Shop (Lucky Pack 2015)


On to Baby! Baby, the Stars Shine Bright opened in 1988 and is generally considered the most long-lasting, timeless sweet lolita brand. Their prints tend to be a bit less sugary than AP,even though they get a little crazier with the frills, and they even release some old-school style things every now and then, hearkening back to the Kamikaze Girls days. They also have a sister brand, Alice and the Pirates, that does things which are a bit darker. I really like Baby for their creativity. I love AP's prints, but I'm usually not that interested in their solid-colored dresses. Not so with BTSSB. I think they have fantastic designs for their non-print dresses, too. (Their dresses also usually have ridiculous long names that feel a bit lost in translation.) Here are some of my favorites from 2014 and 2015.






(Left to right from top.) Fairy Garden Trifolium JSK in Off-white, Rose Mistica OP in Pink, Star Mille-feuille JSK in Multicolor, Salon de thé Minette Caline JSK in Lavender, Bright Starry Night JSK II in Lavender, Queen of Snow ~ Fragment of Eternity I Hid in Snow Globe JSK I in Sax, Usakumya chan is Petit Pâtissier JSK in Lavender, Milk Chan's Fantasy Wonderland JSK II in Pink, Disney's Snow White OP in Pink, Le Jardin Secret d'une Princesse OP in Pink


There are a lot of other lolita brand and indie brands I love, but I think I'll make a separate post for that in the future, so that's it for this question. I hope everyone gets their loli on!


No comments:

Post a Comment